The Miele Classic C1 Olympus (a.k.a Miele S2121 Olympus) is an exceptionally lightweight vacuum cleaner, with an equally exceptional cleaning power. It has grown in popularity and surpassed a whole series of vacuums developed since its introduction, including the Capri, Delphi, and the Titan.
- 6 Stage dynamic suction control
- Exceptionally quiet
- Easy to maneuver
- Great on hardwood and light carpet
- Excellent price for a Miele
- No motorized brushroll
- HEPA filtration not included
Although the C1 Olympus was designed to work great on all types of floors, it has become a timeless favorite today because of its incredible ease of use, efficiency, and effectiveness at cleaning all types of hardwood floor surfaces.
Many people still consider it the best vacuum for hardwood floor regardless of the fact that there are more expensive options available in the marketplace.
Even at first glance, it’s easy to tell that this vacuum was designed for hardwood, tile, and low-pile carpeting.
It doesn’t have a motorized brushroll, which means that it relies purely on straight suction. This is perfectly fine for bare floor surfaces (it might even be preferable). It’s only a problem when you need to agitate dust and dirt from thick carpet fibers.
One of the greatest things about this vacuum is its ability to generate such a strong suction without generating that much noise at all. It’s not as quiet as the Electrolux UltraSilencer, but it’s still extremely quiet compared to most other canister style vacuums.
Lets take a look at some of the features of the C1 Olympus and why you should add it to your cache of household cleaning tools:
The Miele C1 Olympus certainly has a set of promising features that make it an attractive cleaning option:
- 6 different stages of suction to choose from.
- A wide 29.5 foot cleaning radius.
- High-quality accessories (a varioclip with a dusting brush, an upholstery tool and a crevice nozzle).
- An auto-seal filter bag.
- A combination fiberteQ floor tool for cleaning both carpets and hardwood floors.
- A long electrical cord.
- A telescopic wand.
- Dual wand parking.
Here is a more in-depth look at some of the pros worth mentioning:
- Dynamic suction power – For starters, it has dynamic suction power. The six-stage suction feature makes sure that you use the correct level of power for the surface you clean. The dial power selector is adjustable and user-friendly. It comes with conveniently located controls and the powerful 1,200 watt motor allows the machine to clean effectively.
- Traps more dirt – The auto-seal filter bag allows it to lock in dirt as it cleans. It has a plastic collar that allows the bag to slide in and out easily, so it is removable. A flapper retains dirt and other dust particles and a “bag full” indicator tells you when to empty it.
- Avoid allergic reactions – Containing the dust and dirt helps to prevent allergic reactions. Anyone in your household with sinusitis or allergic reactions to dust will welcome this cleaner with open arms.
- Transitions easily from carpets to hard floors – Moreover, the Classic FiberTeQ floor tool helps you clean short-pile carpeting and bare floors with ease. Transition without difficulty from your carpets to your hardwood floors. All it takes is a quick press of a switch.
- Easily accesses hard to reach areas – Easy transition aside, this cleaner’s telescopic tool allows you access to hard-to-reach areas with ease. It extends to an impressive four feet, so spiders and dust mites don’t even stand a chance. The varioclip is makes reaching tough edges convenient. The dusting brush, upholstery tool and crevice nozzle, are all interchangeable, which is perfect when you want to clean furniture, stairs and curtains.
- Portable and mobile – This cleaner is, without a doubt, lightweight and portable. It weighs only 11 lbs and the long cord is retractable, so you do not have to plug and unplug the cleaner to move it around.
- Easy to store – Apart from its portability, this cleaner stores easily. Use the Dual Wand Parking features at the end and bottom of the canister to easily lock it and store it.
- Quiet – To round off the list of pros, the Miele C1 Classic is, according to many customers, one of the quietest cleaners they have ever used. One of them even admits that she has returned several cleaners in the past because of their deafening noise. She did not, however, do so with the Miele.
This cleaner, like all others, is far from perfect. The disadvantages of the Olympus C1 Classic will prompt you to consider all options carefully before making a choice:
- The vent blower is ineffective at odd angles – Firstly, the vent blower does not blow well if the vacuum is held at an angle. Stairs, therefore, are sometimes a challenge.
- It depends on straight suction – The lack of a motorized brush roll means that this cleaner relies on straight suction cleaning. Sucking debris out of thick carpet fibers is not optimal. For deep pile carpets, there are better options available.
- Does not come with HEPA filtration – Another drawback of this cleaner is that it does not come with HEPA filters. Though it has an Auto-Seal filter bag to make up for this, you may still have some questions about how well it cleans.
Miele S2121 Comparison Chart
|Power||1200-watt, high-output Miele-made Vortex Motor System||1200-watt, high-output Miele-made Vortex Motor System||280AW suction power with no loss of suction.||New low-noise, 1200-watt, Miele-made Vortex Motor|
|Suction||Rotary dial with 6 variable power settings||Rotary dial with 6 variable power settings||Radial Root Cyclone™ technology to maximize suction||Rotary dial with 6 variable power settings|
|Filtration||AirClean System: 4.76 quart, Type G/N, AirClean dustbag, with spring-loaded, self-sealing collar||AirClean System: 4.76 quart, Type G/N, AirClean dustbag, with spring-loaded, self-sealing collar||Whole-machine HEPA filtration with washable lifetime filter.||AirClean Sealed System: FJM AirClean FilterBag™ with spring-loaded, self-sealing collar|
|Weight||13 lb (5.9 kg)||12.9 lb (5.9 kg)||17.3 lb (7.9 kg)||Less than 10lb|
|Special Features||• 29.5 foot operating radius|
• Exceptionally lightweight
• Quiet operation
• Auto-Seal Closing FilterBag
• Easy transitions from smooth floor to carpet.
|The Miele Classic C1 Olympus is a newer model of the S2121 and has most of the same special features.||• Bagless|
• Sound dampening technology
• Dyson ball technology
• Radial Root Cyclone technology
• Single push-button Hygienic bin emptying
• Engineered for high dust removal
|• 33 foot operating radius|
• Lightweight skeleton construction
• Exceptionally quiet performance
• Long cord with one-touch automatic rewind
• 360° castor wheels
|Accessories Included||• Dusting Brush|
• Upholstery Tool
• Crevice Nozzle
|• Dusting Brush|
• Upholstery Tool
• Crevice Nozzle
|• Triggerhead floor tool with air-driven rotating brush bar||• Dusting Brush|
• Upholstery Tool
• Crevice Nozzle
|Recommendation||The Miele S2121 is recommended for hardwood, low pile carpeting, plush rugs, and other smooth surfaces like tile.||The Miele Classic C1 is recommended for low pile carpets, area rugs and hard floors.||The Dyson DC39 Multi Floor is recommended for all floor types. It provides excellent dust removal and expels only clean air.||The Miele S6270 Quartz is recommended for all types of hard/smooth floor surfaces and low pile carpeting.|
|Customer Satisfaction||Overwhelmingly Positive||Mostly Positive||Somewhat Positive||Very Positive|
The Miele Classic C1 Olympus excels in many areas just like it’s former model, the Miele S2121 Olympus. If you have hardwood floors or low-medium pile carpeting, this vacuum is perfect for getting the job done quickly, quietly, and effectively.
The Classic C1 Olympus is comparable to some of the more expensive vacuums out there, but before making any decisions, make sure to read some of the customer reviews and see what others have had to say about it.