Having a HEPA filter in your vacuum cleaner can prove to be beneficial especially if you or your kids suffer from allergies or asthma. Symptoms like watery eyes, runny nose and continuous sneezing become a thing of the past.
Understanding How HEPA Filters Work
These days, HEPA or High Efficiency Particulate Air filters can be found in both air filtration systems and vacuum cleaners.
Its main function is to trap large particles to microscopic-sized pollutants like pollen, dust mites, pet dander, mold spores and even tobacco smoke. It does this by forcing air through a very fine mesh of randomly arranged fiberglass fibers. Once trapped inside the filter, these particles can no longer escape and go back into the return flow air.
Benefits of HEPA Filtration
- They help improve indoor air quality – By preventing the emission of contaminates and impurities back into the air, you are guaranteed with cleaner, safer air either at home or in the office.
- They help prevent flare ups of allergies and asthma – By eliminating smoke, mold, dust, pollen and bacteria in the air, you are ensured with an allergen-free home or office.
- They help instill peace of mind – By eradicating the impurities and allergens in your home or office air, you feel more comfortable and secure without experiencing any breathing problems.
What to Look for in a HEPA Filter
With the wide range of HEPA filters you can find on the market, it is best that you know what features to look for. This way, you can be sure that the HEPA filter you are buying for your vacuum cleaner can do the job perfectly.
- Look at the test results – You will find these on the filter. It should pass the 99.97% government standard. The ideal result should be around 0.3 microns.
- Don’t just consider at the price – Sometimes, the less expensive ones are also the less effective filters. Go for quality even if it is at a higher price. Aside from being more effective they may also last longer than cheaper units.
- Read the MERV or Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value rating – This is the rated ability of the filter to eradicate particulates from the air. From a scale of 1 to 20 the ideal rating would be the one with a higher number. This means, it is capable of trapping smaller particulates and more impurities from the air.
- Check if your HEPA filter unit is 100% sealed – If it is then you can be sure that large amounts of particulates will not be going back into the return air flow.
- Go through the user reviews – Reading the features of each brand of HEPA filter is one thing but going through the user reviews can definitely help you make up your mind. This way, you’ll be able to sort through the pros and cons of each brand.
Making Your Decision
Whether you suffer from allergies and asthma, or you just want to protect your home from air pollutants and particulate, getting a HEPA filter for your vacuum cleaner can be very beneficial.
Provided that you make the right choice from the wide range of HEPA filters on the market, you can ensure that your home will have cleaner, safer air.
If you’re having second thoughts regarding the price, then let the user reviews from wherever you are buying it from guide you in your decision. This way, you can assess if protecting your family from harmful particles that usually lead to health problems would be a enough reason to overlook the price.