While there are many methods of cleaning carpets, a growing number of families are choosing carpet cleaning powder as their method of choice. My family is one of those.
What is it?
In contrast to traditional methods, where hot soapy water is injected and then extracted via suction, powder is a relatively dry method.
The powder itself is a slightly damp substance. Think of it as tiny, little sponges that can absorb dirt and other debris.
It is sprinkled on top of your carpet, and then worked in with a brush to absorb and cling to the dirt.
Once the powder is dry, you simply vacuum it all up, and your carpet is ready to be walked on.
Top 5 Reasons My Family (and others) Love it:
- It dries very quickly – The newly dirty powder will dry in about 30 to 45 minutes. Once it drys, you are ready to vacuum, and once you vacuum, it’s ready to be walked on.
- Easier and possibly cheaper – No hot water soap to fill and dump out. No heavy machinery to rent or buy.
- Removes trapped allergens – Pet dander, dust mites, etc. adhere to the powder and are removed by vacuuming.
- Stays cleaner for longer – I’ve always been frustrated with traditional cleaning methods and how quickly the carpet gets dirty again. We found this is due primarily to the fact that some soapy residue is always left behind, which can attract dirt and hold it in the fibers. This not only looks bad, but it also wears down the fibers as you walk on them. The powder method vacuums out very well and anything that is left to attract dirt will likely get removed the next time you vacuum.
- Plain and simple – it works – We are always surprised how well a relatively dry powder can actually clean. It looks great, smells fresh, and is ready to use again almost immediately.
How to Use it
- Vacuum and remove any solids from your carpet.
- If your cleaner includes a “pre mist”, lightly spray that over the surface.
- Sprinkle the powder lightly over your carpet.
- Thoroughly brush it in. This is the hardest part and can be made much easier if you have an orbital floor machine with a brush attachment.
- Wait 30-45 minutes for everything to dry, then vacuum thoroughly.
- Your carpet is now ready for use.
Additional Tips And Things to Know
- If you have a lot of carpeting in your home that needs cleaning and you like this method, I highly recommend investing in the Oreck Commercial ORB550MC Orbiter Floor Machine that can be fitted with a brush attachment made for this purpose. It will make the job go faster, save your back, and will likely produce a better result. Be sure to follow the manufacturers instructions to avoid accidental damage.
- Use a pre-mist solution for heavy traffic areas. This seems to improve the cleaning capability and will usually produce a better result. We use the mist about every other time we clean.
- There are several different brands of cleaning powder available. Shop around for one that can be purchased in large sizes for the best value, and try a couple of them to find the one that works best for you.
The bottom line is that families love carpet cleaning powder because it cleans well, protects your carpet, and leaves it ready to use in a short time frame.