The backpack and upright vacuums are among the several types of vacuum cleaners from which you can choose.
In order to determine which of these two is right for you, you need to assess and understand the environment that you want to clean.
Some of the key factors you need to consider include the type and amount of surface that needs to be cleaned and the “stuff” (or obstacles) that you may need to maneuver around.
The paragraphs below will help you decide which of these two vacuum cleaners is the right and most fruitful unit for your workload.
Backpack Vacuum Cleaners
If you don’t already know, a backpack vacuum cleaner falls in the category of canister vacuums. You use it whilst wearing it on your back in the same way you would wear a backpack while camping. The key objective of this arrangement is to help you achieve increased productivity by enabling you to cover five times more area than that which you would cover with an upright vacuum. If you want to clean vents & blinds, dust or vacuum stairs; this is the best tool for the job.
The Advantages That Come With Backpack Vacuum Cleaners
Besides cleaning the same area as an upright but in a shorter time, it has several other advantages and they include:
- In addition to carpets, you can use them on many other types of floors.
- When you buy a backpack vacuum, you will also get several tools that you can use to clean floors, carpets, upholstery, corners, as well as crevices.
- You will nearly find no spot that you can’t reach with this vacuum.
- The fact that nearly all backpack vacuums are equipped with HEPA or double filtration implies that you don’t need to worry about allergens and dust being left in your home or business.
- They have low maintenance costs.
The Disadvantages That Are Associated With Backpack Vacuums
- Some backpack vacuums may give out heat.
- They normally cost more than upright vacuums. This is one of the reasons to why many people mainly use them for commercial cleaning jobs.
- If you fail to wear the unit properly, you might suffer some slight back pain.
- The unit doesn’t come with a beater brush/bar for getting dirt out of very thick carpets. However, if you own a thick carpet, you can buy attachments and thereby still be able to clean with it effectively.
Upright Vacuum Cleaners
If you have a carpeted floor that you want to clean, then this can be your choice since many people already use it for that same purpose. Upright vacuum cleaners collect particles from the carpeted floor using a beater brush/bar.
You can get upright vacuums in a variety of variations, all with small improvements over the original unit which was invented and designed nearly 100 years ago.
Each unit includes one or two motors & a beater brush, a tank/bag for holding the collected dirt/soil, and a handle; all enclosed in a housing. One of the great things about upright vacuums is that you can get them in a range of widths, that is, from 12 to 24 inches or even more.
For the machines with 2 motors, the 2nd motor is devoted solely to the beater brush. As opposed to the logic, be aware that strong suction may not be as good as it is thought and it might actually damage your carpet.
The Pros of an Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- All its parts are assembled as one unit.
- With its beater brush/bar, it can pick up dust and other particles from plush/deep carpets.
- There are light weight models which you can use comfortably.
- Upright vacuums are fairly priced.
The Cons of an Upright Vacuum
- You may need to replace the vacuum after five years.
- This vacuum cleaner isn’t as effective as the backpack vacuum when it comes to cleaning stairs or some hard-to-reach places.
- Has high maintenance costs.
- The beater brush can get tangled and jammed.
There you have it, the comparison between backpack and upright vacuums. Upright vacuums have been effectively owned and used for more than 100 years, with the latest models being simple to maintain and operate.
On the other hand, when it comes to productivity and convenience, the backpack is the real deal. Obviously, whether you choose to buy a backpack or upright vacuum, remember to pick one which is offered with a return policy so that you can get a replacement in case something goes wrong with your purchase in the future.