As their name suggests, backpack vacuums are canister vacuums designed for users to wear on their backs.
Choosing the correct backpack vacuum cleaner for the home definitely needs a bit of extra consideration.
These compact cleaners are popular for various reasons, but like all cleaners, they have their disadvantages too.
The Pros and Cons of Backpack Vacuums
Backpack vacuum cleaners have their strengths and weaknesses. Being aware of these attributes before rushing out to buy one is useful and necessary.
- They allow you to stand upright – The first advantage is that they allow you to stand upright as you clean. Pull-along vacuums, in contrast, need you to bend over and can cause unnecessary strain to your back in the process.
- They are portable – Besides not affecting your posture, backpack vacuums are maneuverable. They are designed to be lightweight enough that you can easily carry it around on your back. This makes cleaning difficult areas, such as stairs or corners, a lot easier.
- You do not need to empty them so often – Apart from their portability, they are also easier to empty. You do not need to dispose of the dust in the bags so often because most come with powerful filters. Some even have two.
- They have fewer features – Apart from being lighter, they often have fewer features than canister vacuums.
- They cost more – Backpack vacuums often cost more than upright and canister models, however, depending on the individual and the situation, sometimes the extra cost is well worth it.
- Most are better suited for commercial use – Due to their heftier price and power, most of these machines were meant for commercial use. However, due to increasing popularity, there are many models being introduced that are perfect for the average home.
How to Choose a Backpack Vacuum For Home Use
That being said, using backpack vacuums in the home is becoming more and more common. It’s all about knowing which features to look for while doing your research:
- Choose a lightweight model – The first criteria a backpack vacuum must fulfill is being lightweight. A heavy vacuum is cumbersome and does not do your back any favors, which negates the whole purpose of buying one for the extra convenience.
- It must have enough suction power – Aside from being lightweight, a good backpack vacuum must have dynamic suction power. Vacuuming with a machine that needs repeated charging is a tiring chore.
- It must have dynamic filters – Dynamic power aside, it must also have powerful filters that absorb dirt efficiently. If you need to empty canisters often, it usually means the filters are not strong enough.
- Consider the cleaning tools – Lastly, an efficient backpack vacuum should have sufficient, reliable cleaning tools that lift dirt from hard-to-reach areas.
To help you narrow down your choices, here are a few reliable home-use models that are highly recommended by actual customers:
The first, handy vacuum cleaner comes with:
- An ergonomic design.
- A fifty-foot power cord.
- A durable canister.
- Easy-to-assemble cleaning tools.
The ergonomic design of the Oreck makes it easy to carry. It conforms to your back and the fifty-foot power cord ensures that you do not need to constantly unplug it to move to other locations.
The cleaning tools allow it to reach less accessible nooks and crannies.
Customers attest to its durability and ease of use. What pleases them is its portability, important for busy homeowners.
Designers meant it for commercial use as well but works great at home too.
The next vacuum, the Hoover C2401 includes:
- A HEPA filter.
- A large-capacity backpack canister.
- A 60-inch positive locking hose.
- 38 inch two piece straight metal wands.
- A 6-inch crevice tool.
- An 11-inch turbo floor tool.
- A 2-inch dusting brush.
- A 4-inch upholstery tool.
The HEPA filters in this vacuum’s canister clears dirt thoroughly. The cleaning tools reach inaccessible areas, including upholstery.
What satisfies customers is that this machine is very effective at cleaning both hardwood floors (learn how to clean hardwood floors naturally here) and carpeting. Manufacturers designed it for both home and commercial use.
This last, nifty vacuum includes:
- HEPA filters.
- A fifty-inch cord.
- A lightweight canister.
- Easy-to-assemble tools.
This vacuum is the smaller sibling of ProTeam’s Supercoach Vac. Light, and it fits almost everyone. It’s very portable, allowing easy access to normally hard to clean areas like staircases.
The HEPA filters enable total cleaning. What pleases homeowners is how completely it cleans their tiled and hardwood floors. It also lifts dirt off carpets easily.
Making Your Choice
If you are searching for a backpack vacuum with dynamic suction power, use the Hoover C2401. It is a machine that has powerful filters and cleaning tools.
If you have back problems, the Oreck XLPRO6A is a suitable cleaner. Ergonomic and lightweight, it sits on your back comfortably and is easy to carry.
A wonderful vacuum for home use is the ProTeam Quartervac. Light, and it fits people of all sizes and cleans all areas of the home thoroughly.